The J.B. Lippincott publishing company was founded in 1836 in Pennsylvania. In 1849 in acquired the Grigg, Elliot & Co. Grigg, Elliot was a large book distribution company. With this acquisition, Lippincott became one of the largest publishers in the U.S. In the 1850’s the company operated under the name of Lippincott, Grambo & Co., before taking on the name J. B. Lippincott & Co. In 1978 Lippincott was sold to Harper & Row and in 1990 it was acquired by Wolters Kluwer. In 1998 it was then merged with Raven Publisher and later with Williams & Wilkins to form Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Today Lippincott Williams & Wilkins only publishes health information for the profession.
According to the Lippincott Williams & Wilkins web site, the Lippincott company can trace its history back to a small book stall operating in 1792. From that modest beginning the present company grew. It apparently became “one of the largest publishers in the English-speaking world.”
The earliest version of The Arabian Nights published by Lippincott is from 1855 by Lippincott, Grambo & Co. This is a large book, at 716 pages and illustrated with a large number of engravings.
J.B. Lippincott & Co. produced at least a dozen printings of the Nights, starting in 1858. These vary in quality, size and illustrations. The early printings contained the same number of pages and illustrations as the Lippincott, Grambo edition. In later printings the page count dropped to 516 pages. Illustrations were drastically reduced to none or just a few tipped in colour ones. The text is the standard anonymous 19th century text which based on the original 18th century printing. There were hundreds of this version produced by different American and British publishers. They had the great advantage in that no pesky authors were around to demand a share of the profits. The last Lippincott printing that I know about was 1883.
Unlike most of the other publishers, Lippincott usually put a date on the title page.
 J.B. Lippincott Company Records 1851-1958, finding aid. Pennsylvania: The Historical Society of Pennsylvania, 2007. Accessed 20110718